Well, like humans, dental care is important for dogs too. As the dogs may also get some serious health issues related to their teeth or oral hygiene, it is better to help them avoid these issues which can be done by taking care of their teeth. Along with other common oral diseases, the dogs may develop periodontal disease. About 70% of the dogs develop this disease and it can cause serious problems to their overall health if not treated well.
Vets suggest you should brush your dog’s teeth at least thrice a day if they have any developed an oral disease. If their oral health is better, you might consider brushing their teeth after every 2-3 days.
How to Brush Dog’s Teeth?
Consider the following suggestions while brushing your dog’s teeth.
- Set your routine first
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles
- You may also use a child’s toothbrush
- Use flavored toothpaste
- Do not use human toothpaste
- Before brushing their teeth, let your dog taste a small amount of toothpaste so he gets familiar with it
- Make him familiar with the brushing routine by rubbing your finger on his upper teeth and gums
- Brush his teeth in a circular motion
- Keep him engaged by talking with him while you brush his teeth
You may like reading about Basenji – The Barkless Dog
How to choose a Toothpaste for your dog?
There are a number of toothpaste brands available in the market having different specifications and tastes. Before buying toothpaste for your dog, make sure it is good enough to inhibit plaque formation as well as the ability to eliminate mouth odors. You can either choose one by checking the reviews online or make one by yourself at home.
How to make Dog Toothpaste at Home?
You can make dog toothpaste at home by using coconut oil and turmeric. Check below for the recipe.
- Melt 225 grams of coconut oil in a microwave oven or a hot water bath. The coconut oil contains antibacterial components and fights well against bad breath and cavities.
- Now, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric. It prevents plaque and whitens the teeth naturally.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of ground, dried kelp. Kelp is seaweed and has many health benefits.
- Add 1/8 tablespoon of Parsley Flakes. It kills bacteria as well as freshen your dog’s breath.
- Now stir all the ingredients until it becomes a paste with everything combined and pour it into a glass jar.
- That’s all.
Whether you choose a branded toothpaste or made one by yourself at home, you are recommended to ask your vet first, so he may prescribe you with the best option for your dog.
Read 11 Best Dog Breeds For Seniors
Image credit: torbakhopper